Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Transfer Station

   Today I had the pleasure of making my first trip to one of the many Fairbanks area transfer stations to drop off old laminate flooring, and let me tell you: it is such a great idea!  If any of the four people that read this are like me and don't know what a transfer station is, let me explain:  The majority of people who live in the Fairbanks area do not have trash pickup services (luckily where Pete and I live, Wednesday is our trash day) so they have developed these transfer stations, or dumpsters, so that people can drop off their trash.  When I say dumpsters that makes it sound like a really dirty and gross area but I was extremely impressed.  People just came, dumped their trash, and went on their way.  There were dumpsters specifically for recycling, household debris, contractor junk, and an area where you can put things that typically would go to a goodwill or salvation army and people can pick it up.  Truly taking advantage of the saying one mans junk is another mans treasure.  While I am glad that I have the luxury of having trash pickup, I am able to appreciate the way that most people get rid of their garbage here in Fairbanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment