Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Where to begin

  As described in my last blog the months of May and June have been extremely busy with traveling.  Once I got home from the Boston/D.C. trip I worked 7 nights in a row and then left for Guadalajara for my best friends wedding (no, not like the romantic comedy from 1997).   It was a wonderful event and despite being sleep deprived and having anxiety about leaving Gatsby behind for the first time since moving to Alaska I had an incredible 3.5 days spending time with Ashley and her wonderful family.  While it was a very quick trip I had a incredible time exploring the town of Tequila, Mexico and exploring places like the Jose Cuervo distillery.  Remembering when Ashley and I would talk about our wedding days when we were in high school I was so thankful that I was able to spend her special day by her side.  I am lucky to have the most amazing and beautiful best friend both inside and out.








Alright now after the wedding of course I had to work the next three days but that meant that I was off for one of the busiest weekends in Fairbanks: the summer solstice festival!  The festivities began on Saturday night with the midnight sun run, a 10k that begins at 10:30pm at night that takes you on a tour through neighborhoods and you feel like you are running through massive block parties, live bands included. It was quite an experience to see so many people out to celebrate the longest day of the year and the costumes that people ran in.  I know next year Pete will not let me run in traditional running gear since he has such a love for costumes but I am glad that I was able to get my first run out of the way blending in!  Here are some pics from the

There were bumblebees


Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head!



And then there was Andrea and I at the end!



It was a fun race and good for me to know that I am not too old to be able run 6.4 miles without any training (however next year I think it will be better the next day if I do actually run a little before the race!).
The next day there was the midnight sun festival where there is every type of food you can imagine being sold on the street, and vendors trying their best to sell goods. Live bands played on three different stages from noon to midnight.



It was nice to see so many people out and about enjoying all of this beautiful daylight.  Overall I am glad that I got out and took part in all of the festivities this weekend.  Was it a life changing experience?  Definitely not and it was almost bittersweet celebrating the longest day of the year knowing that in six months I will be enduring the shortest day of the year.
   I have a few activities planned in the next few days, work, and then next Thursday I leave for my final trip out of Alaska for the summer to North Carolina for family beach week.  I am extremely lucky that I have been able to do all of this traveling and that my job has been so unbelievably flexible with my schedule.  Feeling very blessed that I have been fortunate enough to spend time with Ashley for her wedding, that I am healthy and able to run in races like the midnight sun run, that I get to go on family vacation in just over a week, and that I don't ever have to worry about where my next meal will come from.  Life is good, but life will be great in April 2012 when I have my husband home to experience all of these things with me.

Today I miss having you make fun of me while I watch DVR's of shows like the Bachelorette :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey Katie, I'm Lauren and my husband is in 3-21 too :) C Company platoon leader. We moved to Ft Wainwright in Nov 2010 Just want to drop you a line and introduce myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lauren-
    Sorry it has taken me forever to respond, I have been doing a lot of traveling and haven't been spending much time in Fairbanks but now I am home and slowly getting back into the blogging world! Nice to 'meet' you as well-thanks for introducing yourself, it is always nice to get another Army contact since I live off base and feel slightly detached from it all.

    ReplyDelete