Sunday, July 24, 2011

WEIO!

   This week Fairbanks hosted the World Eskimo Indian Olympics (WEIO).  I had no idea what to expect however when I read that games consist of events like the ear pull, high kick, fish cutting contest, greased pull walk, seal skinning contest, and greased neck pull I quickly realized that this is an event that I probably should check out.  I went on both Thursday and Friday and was able to witness the high kick contest, the ear pull, and that native baby regalia.

First, the high kick contest, not the traditional high kicking that I thought of (and have witnessed Pete and his friends do at bars). This is essentially a modified yoga pose where they have to kick a ball in the air without falling.  Each round the ball is raised higher and the winner this year kicked a ball that was over 8ft in the air!






After the high kick there was the native baby regalia where children were dressed in traditional native attire and furs.  This would put toddlers and tiaras to shame:



And finally, the ear pull.  This was horrible to watch and looked ridiculously painful, lots of bleeding and reddened ears:

While I would not travel to Fairbanks to specifically see the WEIO, I can say that since I am already here it was a good way to pass a few hours.  Now I can officially say that I have seen the Eskimo Olympics, since that is a conversation that happens daily...oh wait.  Lots and lots of love from the far north and land of reddened ears.

Today I miss having you wake up before me to feed Winston and Punch.  They have decided that they don't want to eat later than 0630.

No comments:

Post a Comment