Saturday, January 29, 2011

3-21 Gimlets

      Since all signs indicate that this deployment really is happening despite my prayers and crossed fingers and toes, I thought that I would do a little bit of research about the unit that Pete is going to be deployed with.    He had the first day of his new job, he is the surgeon for the 3rd battalion 21st infantry regiment, which is part of the 1st brigade 25th infantry division Stryker brigade combat team.  In goofy army Acronyms it looks like this: 3/21 IN, 1-25 SBCT.  Like most things in the Army, they can't even give him a normal and straight forward unit, they have to give a long list that will be impossible for me to ever remember.  I am told that if I just say he is getting deployed with 'The 3-21' people will understand but it still makes as much sense to me as the clicking in African dialect.  The 3-21  is nicknamed the Gimlets, yes, my husband is officially going to be a Gimlet for the next year. 
       A gimlet is a tool with a grooved shank and screw point used by stone masons to bore holes in rock.  These holes were filled with explosives to blast the rock apart; thus, cutting away sides of entire mountains to make room for railroad tracks or roadways.  The gimlet stick, carried by all members of the regiment who have been inducted by the Regiment's Royal Clan, is a visual reminder of the all around toughness presented by soldiers of the Gimlet Regiment (Thank you, Gimlet Website).
     Pete is swapping the comfort of his office chair and weekends in the labor and delivery call room for the comfort of this, his new office:   
     In my opinion the red cross looks more like a target than an ambulance but Pete is doing his best to reassure me it isn't a target.  I would be much happier if he was going to get deployed to a Combat Support Hospital (CSH) like his original deployment from November, it seems a lot safer to be away from the fighting taking care of the wounded rather than being the one that is deployed alongside the soldiers doing the fighting.  He will be deploying with a brigade of about 7000 soldiers in early spring, and there will be a total of 9000 soldiers gone by May.  It is hard to believe that so many people will be leaving this wonderful town of Fairbanks.  Between the soldiers deploying next week, and the soldiers deploying in March and April I am pretty sure Fairbanks is going to turn into a very hostile environment of emotional wives- most have a gaggle of children that they are going to be caring for solo, some got pregnant prior to the deployment which will definitely increase the level of craziness of the women.  On a brighter note, it will hopefully give me good material for my blog!  
    I'm not sure if doing this research was the best idea but at least when all of the seasoned Army wives ask me who Pete is deploying with I don't have to feel inadequate mumbling something about numbers and gimlets.  Pete has coached me so I can say with my head held high "The 3-21".  If they ask me any questions past that I will continue with my mumbling and saying random acronyms since that is what 90% of Army lingo is.  I feel like they should have a class for all of the different acronyms because being someone not familiar with anything about the military it really is quite confusing.  
   Today I am going to have a good day finishing the crown molding downstairs and smile thinking about  the word Gimlet (I am thinking of the movie 'Elf' where Buddy says: "Francisco! That's fun to say! Francisco. Frannncisco. Franciscooo") . 

1 comment: