Friday, January 21, 2011

I need a job.

It has been a good 1.5 months but I can officially say that I am ready for a job.  I have a job interview at the majestic and wonderful Fairbanks Memorial Hospital  (slight sarcasm there...) for a full time nights position in their emergency department.  I am coming to the realization that I am not going to be able to do the job I would love to do which includes working in the most challenging ICU in the country because honestly, that is just not something that Fairbanks, AK can handle.  Considering that they do not have a neurosurgeon or CV surgeon within 400 miles of Fairbanks, it definitely limits the options.  So instead, I think I should learn about a different area of nursing and at least be highly entertained by the patient population that comes in an out of the area (I hear they have an entire pod dedicated to 'chronic inebriates' and have rubber padded rooms, I mean REALLY!).  So I will go into this interview and have a positive attitude and act like this is the only job in the world because frankly, for the next 3 years, I think it is the only job that I might actually enjoy.
    It is an odd thing that the nurse manager has the true belief that Fairbanks Memorial is the greatest hospital in the world.  I am completely serious.  She informed me that I should feel very honored that they are interviewing me because they very rarely have nurse turnover or positions available.  This is not exactly the best way to make a future employee feel comfortable, but I'll go with it and keep a smile on my face.  I am pretty sure that I nailed my interview and acted excited about all of the possibilities that Fairbanks Memorial emergency department would offer me.  I must admit that I am a liar.  It annoys me that they have a holier than thou attitude and it annoys me that they are bragging that their CNE is in a program to get her masters.  Really?  Your chief nursing officer doesn't even have her masters?  I don't think that I would have this attitude if they didn't go so far out of their way to make me feel inadequate so I will justify my judging.  Maybe I am also a little stressed because if I accept this position that means that I really am going to brave Alaska for an entire year by myself while Pete is away.  Anyways, I will walk away with a smile on my face and think of how funny it will be to have patients that are in rubber rooms that come in multiple times a week for their detox.  When life hands you Fairbanks, you make do and get excited about chronic inebriates.


Here is the hospital-it looks much more impressive than it really is ;).  Fun fact: I got this picture from a website about haunted sites in North America and this is what it says about Fairbanks Memorial:
Paranormal Activity:  Nurses have seen apparitions in the back room they see as angels when babies are dying. When this happens the temperature in the room drops and the nurses experience cold chills. The phantom sounds of babies crying is also heard when the room is empty. 

Here is the website if you don't believe me, but this makes me even more excited about this job (not babies dying, but that it is haunted)

http://hauntednorthamerica.webs.com/alaska.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment