Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Creamer's Field

  One of the best things about our house in Fairbanks is that it is only a 7 minute walk to Creamer's field-a migratory waterfowl refuge.  During the  winter it is a place to go dog mushing, snowshoeing, or cross country ski but this spring I have learned that it's primary purpose is something much more incredible: come spring it becomes a place where literally thousands of different species of birds come to migrate for the summer and nest  -mom: Murphy and Gatsby would have a blast chasing birds here when you guys make the trip and if you would be willing to let him off the leash !  A true sign that spring is officially here is the thousands of birds that are already here. 
I realize that this picture doesn't look all that impressive, (I should have taken more of the entire field knowing that this would turn into a blog, however I didn't think of it at that time, I guess this makes me an amateur blogger...) but trust me, when you live so close to this refuge, you can actually hear all of these birds as they fly overhead towards their summer home.  Another thing that I have learned to love about Fairbanks: the noisy birds that live a few blocks from my house for the summer.  Some even sound like seagulls and make me think for a split second that I am living in a coastal town instead of the completely land locked gem of a town called Fairbanks.  Here are a few other pics for your viewing pleasure:
And here is a link to the refuge if you are so inclined: Creamer's Field.


I have decided that with each blog post I am going to mention something that I miss about Pete as part of my daily therapy :)

Today I miss having someone to go on walks with to cool places like Creamer's field after dinner.  Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment