Sunday, May 1, 2011

Okay Alaska, it is just you and me.

   After a long and distracting three days of work I finally have my first day off since D-Day (and it isn't really a 'true' day off because I worked last night 7p-7a so half the day was spent sleeping...) and the weirdness of a Pete-less house is a truly sinking in.   For the next year it is up to me and only me to make the most of my time in this beautiful state, hence why I feel like it is just me and the 49th state for the next year.  Okay, me and the other 698,703 that call this state home- this is crazy and refreshing to me considering I just moved from the Washington D.C. metro area where the population is 8,440,617In my attempts to become more 'Alaskan' I have started riding my bike to work (okay, and it cost  $75.00 to fill up my jeep the other day so that is also my other motivation...).  Even when it is -30 you see people commuting on the bikes and there are wonderful bike trails that I am able to use making the commute a breeze, no pun intended.  This has been a nice change giving me time to get some exercise even on days when I work and gives me time to unwind after a long and stressful shift.  This morning might have been my favorite ride home: at 7:30am on a Sunday when there were very few people driving and a lot of people biking or walking just trying to enjoy this beautiful weather.  I have made a goal for myself that through October my only mode of transportation to work will be my lovely bike.  This might be a little ambitious but I think I can make it through October without having to deal with snow!  It is a beautiful life and this is a beautiful state and while my heart actually hurts and I start developing what might be the closest thing to a panic attack that I have ever experienced when I think about not having Pete here for an entire year and him being in a war zone, I am determined to get out there and make the most of my time in Alaska. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment