Saturday, March 19, 2011

6 dogs, 2 cats.

   This past week has been a little bit crazy in the Dillon household.  This isn't because of the usual post-vacation catch up that usually happens or because both Pete and I had to return to work.  It had everything to do with the fact that Pete and I both said that we would pet sit for two different friends over the same 4 day period.  I guess this is one of those times that we definitely learned that we need to communicate a little better when saying we would house dogs for any period of time.  My neighbor Bree and her son flew to Texas on Tuesday night until early May (yes, that is almost two months) and she was beside herself because she did not know what two do with her two 7-month old black lab pups.  Not wanting her to be stressed and the animal lover that I am, I told her that I would watch the dogs.  I told this to Pete however he did not realize that we were to start watching the dogs Tuesday night and he told his friends the Joslin's that we would watch their three dogs while they went to Seattle for the week for spring break with their kids.  A beagle, a black lab mix, and a 5-month old husky mix puppy moved into our house on Monday night and starting Tuesday night we were responsible for the other two black lab puppies from across the street.   This probably sounds pretty stressful, but you have no idea, it was completely insane.  We kept the black lab pups at their house and just went for frequent checks to let them outside.  Every morning at about 5am before I had to go to work I would take all six dogs to the trails behind our house and let everyone just play and run to get some energy out.  Luckily, they are all good dogs who don't run away and they really enjoyed playing together but trying to walk 6 dogs in ice and snow is a very difficult task.  On Wednesday morning during our morning walk/play time somehow Gatsby dislocated his patella and Pete had to take him to the vet to get it put back into place.  I think it is safe to say that Gatsby is over this whole fostering other dogs while people go out of town thing.  Friday he was finally able to put full weight on his back leg and seems to have made a full recovery.  Thankfully on Friday we were also able to return the Joslin pups so now we are 'only' responsible for Gatsby and the black lab pups.  In case anyone was wondering if it was possible for me to become an animal hoarder, the answer is a definite no.  Being responsible for six dogs and two cats for a five day period probably took a few years off my life.  Pete and I will be spending the weekend trying to get the house back together before his parents fly into town Sunday night.  Phew. We made it through the week with only one minor injury to report.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I realize that I am a stranger but I am an RN in south Georgia and was looking under RN's on the e-blogger site. What drew me to read and respond to your blog (which I also have never ever done in my whole computer literate life)is the fact that I lived at Fort Greely, Alaska.. on down past Delta Junction about 5-6 miles if you head toward Anchorage, for 4 years as a teenager. That was over 40 years ago...I but I have never forgot how driving the 100 plus miles to Fairbanks for me was "going to the big city." My dad was in the Army and I was an Army brat. I have lived a-l-l over the USA and Germany growing up.

    I hope you will forgive me for just butting in but I am enjoying your blog, your northern experiences, and although I am in infection control nursing now, I was in ICU and med surg forever. (at least since 1985)

    Thank you for letting me sort of plunder into your site for your lower 48 friends and I hope you don't mind. I remember staying at the girlscout camp south of Fairbanks one July and it actually started snowing and they sent us all home!

    Let me hush. I have a blogger site for my university classes online right now (working on a BSHS in health sciences) and another for Native Americans. My grandmother was full blooded Seminole. The Inuit people up there are wonderful by the way and like most native people,precious to get to know.

    Deb
    My school blog called CheyFire
    http://cheyfires.blogspot.com/
    My DreamCatchers site for medical problems that affect the Native population.
    http://cheys-dreamcatchers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb,
    Thanks for the message-you are more than welcome to read as often as you please! As you know, Fairbanks is quite an adjustment but the more I get involved with the people and the culture the more I am enjoying it! Thanks for the link to your blogs, I will especially be utilizing the medical problems affecting the natives. As you said, they are extremely precious and wonderful people. Did you ever do any nursing specifically with the natives? Thank you for the message, it is nice to know I'm not completely alone, I have my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete