Thursday, March 24, 2011

Have an Ice Day

    Something that I can honestly say that I never thought that I would see is the world ice art championships. However, Fairbanks is the host to this event every March and it is the talk of the town so we thought that we would show off the best of Fairbanks to Pete's parents while they are in town.  We went twice-once during the day which we thought was pretty impressive
And then we decided to go back at night when everything is lit up with beautiful lights and I officially became amazed at how intricate and detailed these pieces of art are.

The championships started on March 1st and will be going on until the end of the month.  There are competitors from Russia, Mongolia, China, Japan, Sweden, and many other countries that fly to this small town in Alaska.  They actually get the ice from a pond located right next to the park and it is incredible how clear the ice is
  Surprisingly, most of the competitors have some sort of culinary background.  I am excited to come back next year to watch them actually create these pieces of art (a 'season pass' is only $25.00 for unlimited views!).  While here I think it will be important to take advantage of these opportunities so that one day I can think back to that one time when I attended the world ice art championships when I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska.

Here are a few more pictures for your viewing pleasure:







And Dad, this one if for you:

No comments:

Post a Comment