Monday, March 21, 2011

Hip Hip Hurray!

   I think it is officially safe to say, that I have  made it through my first arctic winter.  By arctic winter I am talking about the -20 and below bone chilling weather, the darkness that inevitably comes with winter but strikes Fairbanks especially hard, and the feeling like it might not ever get warm in this frozen wonderland.  I officially feel like it IS going to get warm here and now that the sun doesn't set until 9pm and I must wear sunglasses driving to work at 6:30pm or else I truly am blinded by the brightness it helps bring a much more positive outlook on things.   The highs this week are in the mid 30's and I feel like a true 'local' because I only have to go out in a long sleeve shirt and a vest and feel completely fine.  Funny what -40 to -50 degree weather will do to a girl!  There are two different 5k runs that are happening in the month of March and April and there are so many fliers hanging with local things to do in the break room at work.  I don't know how I will have enough time to be able to do it all (kidding, kind of...) but at least I feel plugged in and am aware of what is happening around time.  My co-worker invited me to go berry picking/jamming this summer which I can't wait (it is only about 4 months away so I figure it is never too early to start getting excited) and another co-worker has already picked a weekend for us to go dip net fishing to catch more salmon than I will know what to do with.  Say hello to the new, more rugged, more outdoorsy Katie Dillon.  I feel like I should get a merit badge that says something along the lines of:  Made it through her 1st arctic winter without a car for a month, without anything in her house for 6 weeks, and without her husband for a month.  I can only imagine what I will want the badge to say after next winter!  Happy spring to everyone, even up here in Fairbanks I can feel it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment