Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Hail to the Chief!

   After working the past three days I have definitely learned a lot, seen a lot of things, and seen a lot of things that I could probably do without.  However, one of the best things that I have learned is that I love the Native Alaskans.  I know Pete has only been away for 2.5 weeks and I have already fallen in love, but it is true.   They are fascinating, stoic, wonderful people and I am genuinely excited about working so closely with the Natives.   There was an elderly gentleman that came in Saturday with an infection requiring IV antibiotics.  I went in checked him out to see how things were going and started talking with him and his wife and was amazed at what interesting lives they live!  He was telling me about how they hunt and how they traveled 200 miles to get here to get medical care and that he didn't want to come however one of the other elders insisted on it.   He is part of the Inupiaq tribe. Lucky for me (not so much for him....) he needed to come in every 8 hours for IV antibiotics and I got to have him as my patient multiple times on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and I was thrilled.   I told him that I am new to the area and would love to learn about their customs and anything he was willing to teach me I would be thrilled to know so he went home during one of his eight hour breaks and hand wrote 3 pages of information for me so that I can understand his culture.  He worked so hard on this and genuinely wanted to teach me so I thought I would pass it on to the blogging world.   First, unlike the 'lower 48 native Americans' the Native Alaskans like the 'white people'.   In Alaska the white man has given them respect, space, and assistance so there is not a disdain for the whites however he made it very clear that most Native Americans despise 'the Whites'.   Good to know that if I go to Arizona  not all Natives are so sweet and loving. He wrote down a lot of good information so that hopefully I can provide culturally sensitive care when they come to the ED.  Some of the pointers he told me is that they show respect through silence and that through observance they get to know others so don't take it personally if I feel like a Native is not being interactive or talkative with me.  I need to allow time for them to ask me questions and don't fill pauses in conversation with my own thoughts, because that is a sign of disrespect.  I also should have little or no eye contact so that the Native can maintain their sense of dignity.  This gentleman even went so far as to tell me about how they feel about death and suicide in their culture. Death is seen as part of the circle of life rather than an ending, so if an elder has a disease they often will commit suicide because they feel that they have done enough good things and has lived a good life and will be remembered.  If you are remembered, you do not die so they actually celebrate death.  Fascinating, isn't it?!  After all of this he even insisted on bringing me some moose meat stew-not the best meal I've ever had but I can see how it would provide a lot of nutritional value.    I could go on and on about this wonderful husband and wife however I will spare you that, I just know that I truly respect these people and am amazed at how strong and tough they are.  Talking with him for the past three days was so much more educational than the 30 minute power point they gave in orientation!  I even went so far to do some research about going to their village to provide medical care at one of the remote clinics on my days off.  Thank you to my new friend for all that you taught me, I promise that I will talk slowly, quietly, and look at my feet anytime I go into a Native Alaskans room even though nothing about me is slow and definitely not quiet, I will do it for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment