Sunday, February 20, 2011

Yikes!

   Tonight there is a winter weather advisory for Fairbanks so I decided to curl up and watch a movie: Waiting For Superman.  What a terrifying film!  I knew our education system was in shambles but I had no idea how terrible it truly is.  It makes me feel extremely grateful that I made it through the public school system alive.  I have never been a fan of unions of any type but it seems completely asinine that we are not able to get rid of ineffective teachers.  How is it possible that people can continue in a job that they are not producing any type of results?  What other non-unionized profession allows this?   This movie just makes me feel extremely blessed to have been brought up by a family that encouraged education, and where I wasn't put in a school system that was a 'dropout factory'.  How do we get good, motivated teachers if there is not any reward for doing a good job?  Oy.  Remind me that if I ever get bored with nursing that teaching will be my next profession.  I wish I was bright enough to fix this huge problem. Instead, I will hope that by the time I have school age children I will have a good plan on how to get them through the public school system alive so I don't have to make Pete quit his job and become a home school teacher.  Kidding. Kind of.

No comments:

Post a Comment