Saturday, February 26, 2011

No spiders in Alaska?

  One of the things that Pete told me to get me excited about moving to the great north is that there are no cockroaches, poisonous spiders, or snakes in Alaska due to the extreme temperatures.  After talking to some of the ER docs I found out this is true and that there are very few arachnids to be found, and the few that are in Alaska are found in the south.  Leave it to me to find a medium sized brown spider on the wall in the guest bedroom today while hanging pictures.  Seriously?!  There is about 2.5ft of snow outside and temperatures are supposed to reach -30 tonight.  How did my home get to be so lucky to shelter such a rarity in Alaska?  I knew that I had to worry about bears, moose, caribou, and porcupine but I thought that I would have peace of mind knowing that there aren't any snakes or spiders.  Luckily, Pete will be home tomorrow night so I will have another set of eyes to look out for these terrifying creatures.


Okay, this might be a little dramatic but in my opinion all spiders look equally terrifying.

3 comments:

  1. Did you ever find out what kind of spider this is?? I found the exact same looking one in my bathtub yesterday!
    And I heard the same thing when I moved to Alaska! No roaches, spiders or snakes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in the Arctic circle of Alaska less than 2 weeks ago. By one of the rivers there were spiders everywhere. I was there with my class on a field study. One of the students with me studied the spiders there, there were so many different kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a hobo spider. They're an import from Europe (1930) and they're poisonous.

    ReplyDelete